Tuesday, February 22, 2005
 
blogging, pros and cons
Pros:
*It's much more personally rewarding than I thought it would be.
*It's fun and helpful to look back at old posts, just like reading what you wrote in your journal last month.
*It's a great way to keep in touch with old and far-flung friends without filling their inbox with what-I'm-up-to spam.
*It makes me keep track of what's up in my head (and my heart, cheesily), and it makes me write something regularly, which is great.
*For those of us who have a lot to say but tend to isolate ourselves, it's a great way to feel connected to the rest of the world.
*It's a mini soapbox to talk about the great things and sucky things in one's day-to-day life.

Cons:
*Paranoia, baby! The more people that read, the more I wonder who they are. Someone visited my site today from the conservative town I was born in, and I'm sweating that it was a (conservative) relative. Then I read some old posts and went: oh well, I'm pretty open and talkative in real life, so they already know most of this stuff about me, or at least suspect it. I'm pretty what-you-see-is-what-you-get, so it's not like I'm unleashing a secret life here on the web. (though: why do you suppose I don't use my name?)
*You have to think about all of these people potentially reading your posts (which can affect how and what you post): landlords, employers, family, classmates, strangers, hipsters, potential dates, potential stalkers, and exes. That's intense!
*To some extent there's pressure to write interesting things. And since you guys have expressed a desire to read about the filth in my life, while the aforementioned people may be reading or finding my blog any day....well, it's a tricky balance.
*So dear readers, remember: this is only a snapshot of my life and it's been photoshopped a little! You only know what's really going on, especially the filthy, lurid and controversial details, via personal communication.



<< Home

10/2004
11/2004
12/2004
02/2005
03/2005
06/2005
07/2005
08/2005
10/2005
11/2005
12/2005
02/2006
03/2006
04/2006
06/2006

Of Course:
The views expressed here are my own and do not represent in any way my employer. Or my school. Or even my friends. And heaven knows the views here aren't representative of my family. Ha! This is a personal blog and it only represents me. And on some days, even that is questionable. So there.



Powered by Blogger